Home » Audio » Speaker » Inspired by the McIntosh XRT2K
Re: Inspired by the McIntosh XRT2K [message #23413 is a reply to message #23412] Thu, 25 January 2007 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Attila is currently offline  Attila
Esquire
At 120db from this I think there would be some cones flying! If my thinking is not completely off (that happens!), reaching 120db with 1 line of 45 drivers would require a total of 45000 watts - that is a bit more than my fuses can handle...

The 90db sensitivity rating for 1w/1m with 45 drivers is a bit misleading. This is a measure for the SPL with 1w energy dissipated for each driver. The SPL for 1w total energy dissipation does not change, that remains at 74db/1m (according to Zaph), only it is now generated by 45 drivers burning off 1/45w each. The real gain is in lower distortion and more headroom. It is more meaningful (although not very precise due to impedance variation over frequency) to use the SPL @ 2.83v/1m measure here, as 2.83v across all 45 drivers will produce around 90db/1m.

Anyway, you are right in that my number was too low, it should be around 103,5 max SPL with 20w/driver peak. That is actually less than 5db off the RD75, so this may not be so bad. More thinking required!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Needles a Great Success!
Next Topic: Word document for cutting flange of Neo Tweeters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 10:38:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout