Home » Audio » Speaker » Question about dispersion in domes vs ribbons
Question about dispersion in domes vs ribbons [message #23284] Wed, 01 November 2006 18:29 Go to previous message
Don B is currently offline  Don B
Esquire
I've read the "whitepaper". It seems to suggest that the only appropriate tweeter is a ribbon or planar, unless a c-to-c distance of below 1.35 inch is available.

The paper also states that a tweeter line needs to be a full meter in length to cover both sitting and standing. I can see that for a ribbon tweeter line since the dispersion of those is pretty much limited vertical dispersion. However, domes by their nature have a more spherical dispersion. I would not expect that, if one found a dome with a less than 1.35 inch c-to-c that they would suddenly develop a limited vertical dispersion. It would seem that since standing is often further away than the sitting position(people don't usual stand to listen in the space between the sitting and the speakers) that they domes would provide more of the overlapping spherical dispersion, and thus the line wouldn't need to be a full 40 inches long.

Please advise where my thinking is faulty.

Don

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Finished My Linus III's!!!!!!!
Next Topic: 2006 Iowa DIY Speaker Event Website Updated..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 11:34:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio