Home » Audio » Speaker » Jim's dirty little secret..... Help from the master...
Re: Jim's dirty little secret..... Help from the master... [message #23166 is a reply to message #23165] Thu, 07 September 2006 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Marlboro,

My change of mind is based on measurements that I have taken and observed on several woofer lines. What happens is that for most of these cases the on axis amplitude starts to decline before a frequency equal to a wavelength center to center spacing. Despite using wideband woofers, when you place them in an array they just don't have the upper frequency capability that a single driver has. Now you may be able to live with the ampliitude roll off of the array, in many cases as you can cross to the tweeters in a little earlier. But I would emphasize that one should measure their woofer line and decide if the amplitude roll off near crossover is satisfactory for their goals. I'm finding that crossing over below a wavelength c-t-c spacing works better for me. A target of half wavelength is what I'm suggesting but I really hope that one measures to discern their situation vs. just using a rule of thumb guideline.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Comparison to Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams with our DIY?
Next Topic: Time delay revisited
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 15:54:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout