Home » Audio » Speaker » Some simple Array questions
Re: Some simple Array questions [message #22971 is a reply to message #22969] Mon, 10 April 2006 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Eric is currently offline  Eric
Baron
Jim,

I do not care for DD/DTS music either. DVD Audio however is stunning if done right. I've listened to DVD-A and DVD-DTS on the same disc back to back and they don't even compare.

SACD...for certain genre's its great, Jazz/Classical, but I've yet to hear a SACD outside of those two that sound better than their DVD-A counterpart.

I would eventually build a center channel array.

I did email Rick on the Linus 2 and 3. He suggested the RS-8, priced in the middle of the two but he said it was the sweet spot piece. Alot more money for the next step up, and although superior for what I am looking for not a big enough gain for nearly 2x the cost.

I like the idea of an array in the rear also since that is where DVD-A/SACD thrive is having 5 full range speakers. Part of the reason the format never took off IMO. Hardly anyone has 5 full range speakers and if you don't have a bass management box, or an extremely pricey reciever then it sounds like crap. Mine did. There is no .1 channel so your sub is useless and they are sending stuff sub 80hz to your rears and center. The ICBM bass manager did wonders for the sound.

Thanks for your suggestions and help. I purchased one of the $140 DIY kits from Parts Express today to give myself a hand at building a speaker and cross over. I am more and more interested in doing this. Between the emails to you and Rick, plus posting on another forum it seems like the Array will solve every complaint I've had about my setup and get me where I want to be.

Thanks again,

Eric

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message