Home » Audio » Speaker » That line array sound
Re: That line array sound [message #22664 is a reply to message #22660] Wed, 15 June 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Linc,

Two observations I would make that impress me about line arrays are their dynamic response capabilities, how near field arrays sound, and their integration distance.

1. Dynamic range. The lack of compression and the higher SPL capabilities are very much horn like in sound when you have a line array as it typically would have 10 dB or even more higher SPL output than an individual driver. The ease that a line array can produce sound is like have an amplifier on steroids.

2. Near field response. As you clearly suspect the near field response does sound different than far field performance. In the near field you'll have more uniform volume in the room--both front to back and even side to side. Often listeners who are accustom to hearing point source speakers will notice the wider image spot from a near field array. Some may like the wider imaging but you have to hear it to sense the difference.

3. Integration distance. With a line array if you listen a few inches away from them you can likely hear a different sound than if you are several feet from them. I recommend that you listen a least a distance equal to the length of the line away from them. Hence, for a 6 feet tall line try listening 6 feet or more away from them. Now if you get too far from the source, you'll be in the far field so that may not sound the same as the near field sound.

Jim

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Klipsch Jubilee
Next Topic: A7's Up and running
Goto Forum: