Home » Audio » Speaker » Large Heils As A Line Source
Re: Large Heils As A Line Source [message #22531 is a reply to message #22521] Thu, 10 March 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
thetubeguy1954 is currently offline  thetubeguy1954
Chancellor
First thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I did some research and from what I've found, the HEIL is quite an impressive driver. The Heil Air Motion Transformer (AMT) speaker which handles everything from 700 Hz to 23 kHz (although I'd cross it over at 1000Hz) Is EXTREMELY limited in vertical & very wide in horizontal dispertion.

German-Physiks (makers of the DDD "Walsh-Driver" say this about the Heil; "... leaf transducers which include all electrostatics as well as ribbon type dynamic loudspeakers; flat panel speakers such as the NXT and BEST; the Heil air motion transformer which is essentially a class with only one member."

Albert Von Schweikert says on his website "...Albert worked closely with Dr. Oscar Heil, inventor of the Heil Air Motion Transformer (a folded-ribbon tweeter with some of the finest measurements ever recorded)."

So it appears to be thought well of. Now knowing vertical dispesrion is extremely low and the diaphram is essentially a horn loaded ribbon (front & back) with a very wide horizontal dispertion pattern, do you have any other thought about using 4-8 per side?

Thanks, Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Voight pipe upgrade
Next Topic: cheat tweeter for array
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 03 23:24:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects