Home » Audio » Speaker » The Fredarrays are Up and Running
Right About the Tweeters [message #22421 is a reply to message #22420] Sun, 02 January 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You are so right about finding the right tweeter. There are few tweeters that combine a reasonable price, good sound, 95dB or better sensitivity and the ability to cross over at about 2.5khz. The $22 Peerless tweeter is one of the cheapest but it sounds like most $20 tweeters, it's fairly directional, and it gives up at about 16khz. I also have a couple of the $14, 96dB MCM tweeters used in the Bottlehead Straight 8, but I didn't care for them too much in that speaker so I doubt I'll like them more in this one. Also, I suspect their resonant frequency is too high to cross over at 2.5khz. In the Straight 8 they are crossed over at about twice that frequency. The $50 Morel MDT-37 comes close with 93dB sensitivity, but a ten driver woofer array is a bit too sensitive for that. GR Researcg offers a $30 96dB dome that looks good on paper, but I haven't heard it. That's about the most I wanted to spend on tweeters for an economy array whose total cost is less than $400, but when Madisound offered a $60 closeout price on the Fountek ribbon I decided to break the piggy bank and go for it. I'll post some comments when I get around to building an appropriate crossover and try it in place of the Peerless tweeters.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Neodymium speaker price sticker shock.
Next Topic: speaker for gamer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 26 22:01:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout