Home » Audio » Speaker » 3-way arrays
Re: 3-way arrays [message #22364 is a reply to message #22363] Wed, 10 November 2004 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Allan,

It should work as you envision. I assume that you will crossover to the 4" mids in the 100-300 Hz range depending on the capabilities of the your 10's. The issue you may have is how to address baffle step compensation which likely will impact your choice of crossover point between the 10's and 4's. One way is to use some equalization to dial in the appropriate amount of BSC. Having a wide baffle will lower the traditional BSC point vs. normal two ways. Another thought is to use a separate box for the 10's but hard for me to say without more details.

The combing issue will come in the crossover between the mids and tweets which is the same as in a two way line array situation. The planar tweeter doesn't like to be crossed lower than 2250 Hz. Hence, you have latitude to locate the crossover in the 2250-3500 Hz area depending on the center to center spacing and how the gain of the mids roll off. Measurement capability will help to get things right in SPL levels and flatness over the operating range between cross points. Having active crossover capability should make things easy.

You did not say whether you plan sealed/vented/open enclsoures so it is hard to guessimate how the bass will react. My personal preference is for sealed enclosures for their better transient response.

Good luck. Sounds like a heck of an array.

Jim

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: need suggestion for EV problem
Next Topic: Doping
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 09:54:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations