Home » Audio » Speaker » for Jim Giffin
For Really LOUD Rock Music [message #22212 is a reply to message #22211] Sat, 14 August 2004 06:33 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Linus would be a good choice for rock music if you use a subwoofer with it. It was designed as a sealed enclosure for simplicity of construction. This gives it a -3dB frequency in the mid 70's, but the rolloff characteristics of a sealed enclosure also make it easier to blend with a sub. I am using two Parts Express Titanic 1200 drivers with PE's 250 watt plate amps in 3.5' enclosures. Using two subs is an overkill; you only need one.

With a good sub the power handling capacity is enormous, and its 95 dB efficiency will let it play very loud with as little as 10 watts driving it. I use a Consonance Ella amp in triode mode, which clips at about 25 watts, and have never felt the need for more power. I did try a 110 watt/ch Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp but liked the Ella more. Building a Linus 2 with a good diy sub will set you back about $1,400.

Another line array you might want to consider if you can swing another $600 is the GR Research Alpha LS. For very loud music I would choose the Alpha over the Linus. The Alpha does not need a sub, has even more power handling capacity than the Linus, and can play as loud as 130+ dB; approaching the ear-damaging levels I once heard at an AD/DC concert (in my younger days). The Alpha LS parts kit is $2,000. The enclosure is double walled 3/4" mdf, so building it is more work than the single walled Linus, and each enclosure weighs about twice as much, but it's as inert as as a lead coffin. I only heard the Alpha once driven by a high quality 30 watt solid state amp, but as I recall it will play quite a bit louder than the Linus without sounding strained. You can read about the Alpha LS on the Audio Circle GR Research forum.

Either of these two will play louder than the Eros, but to my ears neither offers the "high end" delicacy.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Lowther / Fostex
Next Topic: Straight 8
Goto Forum: