Home » Audio » Speaker » A few questions
Re: A Few Answers [message #22165 is a reply to message #22164] Mon, 19 July 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Allan is currently offline  Allan
Chancellor
Thanks Jim. That IS bad news about the tweeter array:-) I re-read your paper and realized I missed that point. Are you saying then, that to get array gain from the tweeter line, I should go with a cone/dome tweeter?

As for the XO, I think I'm gonna buy another amp and a 3-way active XO and tri-amp the whole thing. I'm already bi-amping with a 2-way active XO and I've been wanting to go 3-way anyway. Dialing in the correct XO pint will be alot easier all the way around. The PE drivers are #265-568 (extended range) and look to have useful output between 150hz and 10khz in a sealed box, with a nasty peak between 7khz and 10khz. My original thought was to start at 7khz to avoid the peakiness and I wanted to hear the 6.8khz comb effect - I'm more interested in learning something by this project than anything else. If I go active on the XO, I can just dial it anywhere I need it and get a quick feel for how the array behaves. I'd try to cross at ~150hz to my stereo subs, but they're big 18 inch drivers and I don't know how high I can go with those yet. An OB version would force me to cross at ~200hz and I don't have alot of faith in the subs at that point. The 4th order slopes will help and I'll have some gain control between the 4 inch driver array and the tweeter array.

Anyway, thanks again Jim for your input. We'll see how it all turns out.

Allan

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: This looks like it will rock
Next Topic: pairing speakersw to tube amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 02:06:09 CDT 2024