Home » Audio » General » Interesting Article
Re: Interesting Article [message #2202 is a reply to message #2200] Thu, 08 September 2005 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You said "I guess I just have a hard time understanding why this concept that there isn't any one capable of listening to a piece of stereo equipment and determining whether it sounds good".

I suspect many people can, but few of them are audiophiles. Whenever a non audiophile comes to my house and sees my six foot line arrays and tube monblocks they say something like "I couldn't hear the difference (between this and a mass market system). So I sit them down in the sweet spot, spend 30 seconds telling them what to listen for, and play something really sweet like a Nora Jones disk. After the first few bars it's clear to them that the system is better than anything they have heard before. When an audiophile comes to listen he is more likely than not to focus on those characteristics of the system he dislikes. Virgins are easier to please than whores.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message