Home » Audio » Speaker » FredT -MLTL Bipole speaker impressions
Re: having a bipolar moment [message #21617 is a reply to message #21616] Sun, 02 July 2006 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Duke,

Thanks for the post. Yes, a bipolar does have some applicablity in the world of monopolar boxes and open baffle (dipole) designs. For example, Genesis uses a stereo polar line array woofer stack with a open back dipolar mid/tweeter line array arrangement in a high dollar four box model (they demo'ed this design at the RMAF last fall). A few other commercial speakers use the bipolar concept but they are rare. Too often the bean counters kill multiple driver designs as designers have to compromise what may be a better acoustic solution to satisfy a targeted selling price.

As you suspect, the bipolar solution in my case was an attempt to squeeze as much sensitivity from this driver as I could as it is biased toward low end extension and wide bandwidth. I used the narrow width box and MLTL design to enhance the bass within a small floor space enclosure--more WAF was my goal. The bipolar was intended to handle the baffle step compensation while maintaining the sensitivity as high as I could.

I'll try to hear your new bipolar creation in the near future.

Thanks.

Jim

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message