Home » Audio » Speaker » FredT -MLTL Bipole speaker impressions
having a bipolar moment [message #21616 is a reply to message #21611] Sun, 02 July 2006 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Hi Jim,

Congrats on your simple & elegant new design!

I like the bipolar format a lot, though it's seldom used in a high end commercial system. I also really like your driver choice. Very intelligent, going with drivers that have a long x-max. Instead of going all-out for efficiency in your driver selection, you traded off some efficiency for bandwidth. Once again, I think that's the right choice - adequate bandwidth comes first in my book.

The challenge a bipole has competing in the marketplace is mostly one of customer perception. People don't like the idea that half of the money going into drivers is "wasted" on drivers that face the "wrong direction". And on a more objective basis, can the bipole compete with an equal dollar amount of forward facing drivers?

Having built a few experimental bipoles myself, I think the format can be sonically competitive with its dollar equivalent in forward-facing drivers. It's a somewhat different presentation than what you get from forward-facing-only drivers - in some ways better and in some ways worse. But in my opinion it's a very valid way of taking several big steps in the right direction.

Duke

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message