Home » Audio » Speaker » Looking for a single driver?
10-4, Martin & Bob [message #21239 is a reply to message #21237] Wed, 17 August 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Martin,
Thanks. We are in "agreeance"(to quote some Rock Star).....for the most part. I have never designed a BR....nor have I heard one I could live with. Not sure why this is so, but it is.

Playing warble tones I can not "see" the driver unload (in my favorite speaker) until the freq. is below audibility........but I know it happens.

Bob,
Thanks, The TL's I have built seemed much as you described.......they did unload, but the freq. was low enough it did not seem to matter.

I was under the impression this is a much bigger problem with a BR.......and also I am opposed to "wasting efficiency" with compensation networks or notch filters, when a single driver is used. Limiting the response below resonance seems reasonable to me in some cases. I don't do it as a general rule., however, because I seldom use a sub and simply prefer the sound of the speakers with no filters or components in the signal path, at least in the case of my "favorite" speaker. I do use a HP filter on my TV system........but those are ONE INCH full range drivers! They MUST be rolled off at about 200 Hz to have any power handling at all!
Thanks, guys
Ed

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Shorting rings - Improve something else besides 2HD and Le?
Next Topic: Fitting JVC FS-G5 (160watt) speakers to Yamaha HTR-5839 receiver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 04 08:15:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout