Home » Audio » Speaker » Can single driver speaker rock?
Re: Can single driver speaker rock? [message #21068 is a reply to message #21067] Thu, 14 July 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Well first off i like BLHs mainly due to the dynamics, a seperate woofer taking over the LF requirements is good and a simple build in a sealed cab, but i still enjoy the horn dynamics and pure slam. True the horn roll off is around 50 hz but rock seldom gets below that and i am not a fan of organ music. Those huge bass bins at a concert really dont get below 50 hz anyway.
As to XO and sound, anything that spreads the sound from two locations in the human voice range (Barry White in the lows) just sounds very apparent to me in the XO range. Even active gives some phase change, so i just like a single driver to cover the 300-7,8 Khz range, even though my BLHs roll off at 340 (designed) hz i have found that the sloped final expansion gives a more coherent blend of the horn/baffle/driver handoff. I had to design the horn roll off higher due to the more narrow (slim) look of today which means a narrow baffle which means a higher XO.
Do my horns have slam, well sure they do and huge dynamics as well as soundstage. Under normal listening conditions i seldom go beyond 1 watt at 2 watts its LOUD and around 4 watts its painful and there is no apparent distortion due to the loading of the driver.
ron

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message