Home » Audio » Speaker » Opinion: "The Brick" a folded TQWP for Tangband 871-S
Re: Opinion: "The Brick" a folded TQWP for Tangband 871-S [message #20912 is a reply to message #20910] Fri, 13 May 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Lon,

I have not built Cyburg's "Brick", but did build his Needle design last month. According to Cyburg, the Needle is essentially the same speaker as the Brick, but folded in a different manner. Compared with a simple vented enclosure like the ELF design, the Needle and Brick is supposed to extend the bass down by an octave to about 50Hz. BTW, the ELF is a 0.1 ft^3 vented box with 1" diameter by 1.5" - 2" length port.

I don't have the techical backgroud to say if this pipe design can actually extend the tiny Tangband's bass this low. I can however talk about how my ELF and Needle compare, as I built both at the same time.

Do my Needles go down to 50Hz? Not to these ears. In fact, I wouldn't even describe my Needles as having more bass than the ELF. The sound between the two are very similiar, with the only difference being that the Needles have a fuller, more balance sound. Obviously, the Needles do extend down further than the ELF to create the more balance sound, but not enough to give any real sense of bass.

Hope this helps.
gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Compression Horn Lesnses
Next Topic: Do active crossovers......?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 02:10:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects