Home » Audio » Speaker » Building YOUR single driver speaker:
Re: Building YOUR single driver speaker: [message #19861 is a reply to message #19858] Sun, 21 March 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Martin,
I can intuitively see how stuffing traps the midrange & upper bass, and only allows those waves to escape that we want. I haven't looked at your models, but it seems prima facie, that the density & size of stuffing will influence the wavelengths we trap, and the remaining empty box will behave like a standard vented enclosure. Feel free to correct my "intuition". TL seems like a cleaner design than BR, which allows ALL waves to float around the box. My guess is a BR would be more colored than a TL, (more like a "horn" than a TL).

In my particular case, the contouring circuit (BSC) reduces the midrange & upper bass, and the super tweeter augments the upper midrange and highs and the two effects combine to produce sound that is pleasing to my ears. However, a TL design would probably be more neutral.

The only reason i mentioned tube amps is becuase you already have an important prerequisite: high eff speakers (92 db +) that would sound great with low powered (and cheap) tube amps. One amp i would recommend is the zen amp (www.decware.com) that goes fro $499 and has a money back guarantee i think if you don't like it. This owuld be a good way to experience a good tube amp and see if it is indeed for you, with very little cost.

thanx
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message