Home » Audio » Speaker » Cool article on TNT-audio by a single driver nut...Thanx Martin!
Re: Cool article on TNT-audio by a single driver nut...Thanx Martin! [message #19776 is a reply to message #19769] Thu, 19 February 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Martin,
Thanx for your considered reply.
I think the TNT article is clearly written by an enthusiast, and was fun to read. I kinda agree with the backloaded horn that he did, because if he had not, then with Lowthers he would have gotten maybe 150HZ on up. In my mind this would have compromised his imaging, since the subs would have done all the bass work. I think he did OK to flog the last HZ he could out of the lowthers, before using the sub. I do think he could have used a simple powered sub at those frequencies (below 50HZ). Not sure why he went in for the humongous 2 woofer with 2 tube amp setup...to me that smacked of plain....uhhh...enthusiasm.
[Aside: OF course, now he has bass coming out the back, coming out the subs, and I have no idea what that has done to his imaging. IMHO horns don't really image well for that reason (we have sound coming out from all over the place, to put it loosely). ]

I am ABSOLUTELY going to try your approach...and will then happily be in a position to have a more empirical data based viewpoint, as opposed to the "thought experiment" viewpoint I have at present.

If you don't mind,I will send you a separate mail asking for more details on how to implement it, and then will try it as soon as I can...hopefully this weekend.

I am now getting down to about 50-55HZ in my single vintage drivers, and would LOVE to get 10-15HZ lower. Actually, since my drivers roll off at about 14-15 KHZ they are probably not going to be as bright as the Lowthers, which means your approach will probably work better on my drivers (meaning I can tweak the resistor till I get the bass I want without making the drivers sound too bright). Also, I have a super tweeter, and i can always adjust it...it's cap is not been finalized yet... and i can buy different caps and play around. I am excited!

Thanx for your patience, and BTW, based on reviews I have read, I dont think you are alone on that limb. Hey, who knows, I may join you there after the experiment.
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message