Home » Audio » Speaker » Any good suggestions for subwoofers with full ranges?
What I'm doing... [message #19691 is a reply to message #19637] Wed, 14 January 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
For the home theatre room, I'm running a McCormack DNA-1 amp and, because of the small footprint required, a pair of Definitive Technology BP-2000's. That's really set up for the grandchildren.

But in *my* music room, I run SET's and have a pair of Lowther PM6A's with 40" front horns. I like the clarity of the Lowthers and the bass is, as a friend put it, credible. But I have found that many people overlook the quality of the bass in an audiophile system and just go for a sub with quality something like the BP's, which I think messes up a high-end system.

So I'm building a pair of Pi Seven cornerhorns without tweeters as the bass boxes. My personal taste at this point in time is SET, and I don't like anything between the amp and the driver. So I am putting together a biamped system. One amp to the Lowthers, the other amp to the bass box.

Such a setup requires lots of real estate, as the Pi's are huge and are too tall to act as bases for the 40" horns. The horns are on tripods (speaker stands), and thus can be moved for best sound.

Hope this helps.

Len

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message