Home » Audio » Speaker » vintage 8" fullrange speakers
Re: 8 inch FRs: Give them a chance! [message #19678 is a reply to message #19677] Sat, 03 January 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Bob,

Thats right, I havn't used them in a long time. In fact I've never used them myself, I've just had them. The previous owner would have used 'em though, but that was a few years back. I ripped it out of an old turntable or something that was being thrown away.

The graph shows about 30db difference between 300Hz and 16KHz or so, thats pretty big really. I'll give it a shot and seeing if breaking in tames it down, but I have a feeling it won't do much for something like this. I'll try it though.

6db/oct correction sounds pretty good, the response curve looks like it rises at about this rate. It'll reduce the sensitivity of the driver quite a lot though, although I'm not certain what its sensitivity is at the moment.

The things that looks like cracks in the picture arn't actually cracks :P Its just a section where the surround is rather "thin", and since the picture was taken outdoors, the sunlight made it show up in the photo. Theres not really any cracks in the surround, except a couple of lines runing across from cone to gasket, very minor though. The surrounds are really soft though, feels like wet paper! hahah.

Anyway, I'll give them a good break in and see what happens. Then I'll try out the 6db/oct correction.

Adrian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Re: Before anyone can answer...
Next Topic: New! Improved???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 02:19:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout