Home » Audio » Speaker » Webster's equation verses FEA / BEM
Re: Webster's equation verses FEA / BEM [message #19470 is a reply to message #19468] Tue, 25 March 2008 17:35 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent, Martin. I know whatever you come up will be extremely useful. You're always very thorough. Please keep us posted here.

I agree with you about the importance of (mathematical) modeling in understaning horns. Physical models are important too, but you can make many mathematical models in a relatively short period of time. Makes it much easier to narrow down your choices to target your efforts. That way, physical models can be made of the ones you think are closest to what you want.

This topic reminds me of the struggles faced by James Watson and Francis Crick when trying to discover the structure of DNA. They worked fairly closely with Maurice Wilkins and Rosalind Franklin, who shared their experimental data with them. Linus Pauling, on the other hand, was somewhat arrogant and self-promotional. A sort of competition sprung up between Watson and Crick and Pauling as a result. Linus Pauling published the structure of the alpha helix in 1951, a fundamentally important structural component of proteins. In 1953, he published an incorrect triple helix model of DNA. But Watson and Crick weren't convinced in the model, thinking it just didn't seem right and wouldn't hold itself together. Shortly afterward, they realized the double helix structure, which seemed to fit perfectly. They published this now famous structure and were ultimately awarded the Nobel Prize for it.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Rosedale DS-1000 built in amp - 1" tweeter + 2x5" midrange + 8" subwoofer
Next Topic: Affect of speaker in front of speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 12:58:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout