Home » Audio » Speaker » Back from Dallas and depressed ...
Re: Standing wave notch [message #19244 is a reply to message #19243] Mon, 14 May 2007 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
DMoore is currently offline  DMoore
Baron
I think that LF drivers have a power-frequency bandwidth, that is, they are most efficient in certain topologies and that each combination of driver and loading topology is further bandwidth-limited or at least frequency-specific. Throw a crossover into the mix, and stir vigorously. Place in a room of unknown acoustic parameters...

I too have been on the search for the so-far-still-elusive low-frequency response combined with the appropriate ability to "punch".
Seems that if a particular driver is good at one end of the spectrum, it gives up the other. Getting a balance is a combination of the loading, the specifics of the driver and the crossover. The crossover is an important consideration in the mix, too.

Room suck-out could be a culprit, but if you had punch in the first place, it is unlikely that it would be removed completely. My opinion is that it is the particular driver/loading/crossover combination.

No clean answers to this one.

DM

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Shearer Horn adaptations for subbass use <100Hz
Next Topic: Anybody want to build a DIY IDS-25 clone (somewhat cheaply)?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 02:01:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio