Home » Audio » Speaker » part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias?
Re: part out Valencias & build NorthCreek or Pi? or keep Valencias? [message #18910 is a reply to message #18900] Thu, 14 September 2006 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
FWIW, I have had Thermionic 3pi, and now I use a Pi kind of speaker - a JBL 2226 on the bottom and an Altec 806 + 811 horn on top. I've experimented with dozens of different speakers over the years (just ask my wife...). I tend to use lower power amps (tubes) but also some mid power (push pull, 12 to 30 watts). Here are some of my general observations: 1. The best bass comes from big drivers. 15" is not over kill, but it does kill WAF. 2. More power is often more fun, less power is often more revealing. 3. Single drivers are an interesting concept, but I keep going back to 2-ways. 4. Higher efficency is better than lower (for me at any rate).

I think one of the best all time compromises is a simple 2-way with a reasonable size woofer. The 2-pi fits this catagory. I think if you visit the PI site you'll see loads of positive comments.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message