Home » Audio » Speaker » eminence beta12CX
Re: eminence beta12CX [message #18433 is a reply to message #18431] Sun, 15 January 2006 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to hear the famous Tannoy horns. I'd love to compare them with the Hawthorne Audio drivers custom built by Eminence for open baffle use.
Here's a like to Hawthorne Audio.

http://hawthorneaudio.com/

If memory serves, the Tannoy's are a bit more efficient than the Hawthorne's. Because the Tannoy's are made for a rear loaded horn and the Hawthorne's are made for open baffle, the two drivers are not interchangeable, so you wouldn't want to build a Tannoy horn for a Hawthorne driver. (wasn't there some Tannoy bass reflex speakers also?)
So far, I can't find anything to complain about with the Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris speakers. They do need some bass augmentation when used on a reasonable sized baffle, but even if you buy the matching bass driver, it's still cheaper than Tannoys, and the open baffle type enclosure is far easier and cheaper than a Tannoy horn enclosure.

Also, the horn high frequency drivers on these sound very detailed and no noticable horn "nasties", at least as far up as I can hear (admittedly not all that high anymore). The highs sound much nicer than the highs in a pair of Klipsch Heresy-1's I recently sold which had EV T-35 horns.
Crossover is at 3.5 kHz and is well made.
Mids sound very natural.

Dave

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message