Home » Audio » Speaker » Horn Mouth Diffraction
Re: Horn Mouth Diffraction [message #18160 is a reply to message #18159] Thu, 06 October 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was going to suggest Geddes, but see you already have the reference. Seems like you have a pretty good handle on the issue.

Maybe I've over-simplified the problem, but I've always been of the opinion that an oversized horn is a solution because the mouth is larger than the wavelengths involved. Of course, this is an impossible proposition in many cases, or at least an impractical one. But for home hifi use, where room boundaries can be exploited, you can take advantage of the walls as flare extenders if you can get the mouths close enough. So for LF and MF frequencies where size matters, the expansion from a corner can reduce edge diffraction by effectively extending the flare. And for HF frequencies, the wavelengths are small enough that you can make the horn large enough to reduce edge diffraction.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Advice on choosing best dsp to be programable for use with acoustical arrays
Next Topic: Thoughts for Steve's Speaker Plan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 09:24:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout