Home » Audio » Speaker » Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes
Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A - more notes [message #18055 is a reply to message #18054] Sun, 10 July 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,

I have found that Altec 1" drivers play much better at 1.6khz than at 800hz or 500hz.

The crossover on the 704's is a Altec N1500 (1500hz) and it seems very close from what I could see on the exposed side to resemble the crossover for the Model 19.

Bill Epstein is building my new cabs for the 704's. It will start out as a 10 cu ft (exterior) and will have approx 8.5 cu ft after subtracting the bracing and driver volumes. I told Bill I wanted a port size of 6" x 10" x 14" deep. Not sure how exact that will be, but I bet with that size cabinet it should work out okay.

Currently the 4.5 cubic ft cab tuned to 40hz has bass, but I would have to admit it is down approx 6db relative to everything else, so it sounds kind of thin.

This system will not replace my separate horn-loaded systems that I like to tinker with. As soon as I get some room in the house, I plan to install my 4 16 ohm 2226J's (JBL) in the 4648 cabinets and run a 399 (Altec 288K) 1.4" driver on 311-60 horn and see what happens at 800hz crossover. I have tried it out with a 1.6khz crossover and was surprised that it played the HF notes almost as good as my 1" drivers!!!

I would love to have a 1.4" throat round traxtix horn (ala Edgar) with a 650hz flare rate to be used at 800hz, and without using a adaptor like I did before with my 288C on 350hz Edgarhorn.

When is your next trip across the border here to Ohio???

Ron

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message