Home » Audio » Speaker » Great Plains Audio 704-8A quick notes
Re: Great Plains Audio 704-8A - more notes [message #18054 is a reply to message #18033] Sun, 10 July 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
billfort is currently offline  billfort
Baron
Thanks for the update Ron, I was wondering how these where working out for you. I don’t know how these would compare to my Altec 604-8G’s but I did find them much better over-all when in larger boxes (9ft3) with a wide baffle. What crossover did you use?

Your room observation surprises me actually. I used Altec 19’s and 604’s in the same small 11 x 17 room (but at different times and systems) and felt the co-ax was much better suited to that small space. I love the 19’s but feel you have to get pretty far back from a large horn design before they really click in.

I’ll be building a larger horn system this summer (Altec 902 on a 400Hz round wood tractrix and Altec 416-8A woofer) so will get to try this comparison again. Results may be different in my current system and dedicated 12 x 22 listening room but I can’t see ever giving up my 604’s, even if demoted to another room.

Keep us posted on future ‘704’ observations.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message