Home » Audio » Speaker » Favorite flavors
Re: Favorite flavors [message #17573 is a reply to message #17422] Wed, 23 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Eric Mainardi is currently offline  Eric Mainardi
Chancellor
Hello everybody,

Very interesting debate, even if a little bit "harsh" for the average audiophile like me.
Being currently involved in the pursuit of perfection with my future horn system, I would kindly say that WAYNE's interesting question is closer to a pro sound consideration that to an audiophile problem.

Here are my reasons (I only consider here listening music)
1) WAYNE, how many times a year do you really listen to music for your pleasure with somebody beside you ? Personnally very seldom because listening music is something very selfish. Your wife (or anybody else) is not obliged to appreciate the same record in the same time as you for many reasons. So I consider that most of audiophiles use to seat and listen their system ALONE and consequently naturally seat in the best position possible very close to the famous sweet spot.

2) I hope you will agree with me if I say that your question concerns mainly the medium range due to ear sensitivity (LF and HF are accessories here)...

3)...so I think that audiophile horns are necessary directing to get the most natural song, because any discontinuity in the flare may cause distortion, standing waves, reactance, etc. That's a conclusion you can find after reading the test reports from different audiophile forums. And that's why, IMHO, EDGAR's system is so appreciated.

4) CD horns were designed to solve this problem at lowest cost possible, but require an EQ which is OK for pro sound but not good for audiophile reason

5) To my knowledge from the numberless and endless opinions expressed among the forums about horns, the only horn to match your wish would be something like the ALTEC 1505B multicellular horn, specially designed to solve the directivity problem with eventually real audiophile qualities but apparently overtaken by a well designed tractrix horn

6) Now maybe the compromise here will afford a solution :
http://aa.peavey.com/downloads/pdf/qwp1.pdf
But once again it is a pro sound consideration. Never seen any "audiophile" test report with such horn.

I hope you understand my opinion. I always try to stay in the simpliest way to get the most natural sound. Any complication is not good for sound reproduction.
Your comments are welcome.

With best regards,
ERIC

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message