Home » Audio » Speaker » Favorite flavors
Re: Favorite flavors [message #17462 is a reply to message #17461] Sun, 23 January 2005 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
OK, Earl. Perhaps we don't see eye to eye. Or maybe there's more to it than that.

There are seven π cornerhorn response measurements in the link on my last post, both on-axis and off axis. Beyond what is shown there, I don't see the need for additional measurements that prove π/2 radiation defined by a room corner. It is a radiating pattern definition, not a hypothesis or a speculation about an acoustic device. I really think it's needlessly combative to even bring this matter into question.

It is easy to hear the difference in output from corner loading. It's immediately noticeable. The DI formula illustrates the fact that there is increased power due to directionality. That wouldn't be the case if the corner weren't providing directionality. As you know, the equation was written by C.T. Molloy to quantify the directivity index.

I imagine the data on your website is probably specific to your speakers, and from your position here, I don't think it has anything to do with using room corners. I guess that means your arguments must be based on intellectual skepticism. Maybe it's best to limit your comments to a description of your thoughts and ideas. Or maybe you can substantiate your remarks with measurements that are relevant to this discussion. Don't hesitate to use formulas and include technical details. I'll do the same for you.

Let me ask you:

• Do you believe that a horn's behavior is modified by the radiating space it is used in? Specifically, do you think a baffle mounted horn or one used in quarter-space or eighth-space can be made smaller than one used in freespace?

• Do you agree that a room corner produces 9dB DI over omnidirectional radiation?

• Since those things are accepted by most everyone in the industry, what measurements or other data might you have that suggest otherwise?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message