Home » Audio » Speaker » Hey Graeme!
Re: Hey Graeme! [message #16576 is a reply to message #16574] Wed, 02 June 2004 20:56 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Graeme, Gar,

I agree that the best part of audio is the subjectivity. So many things can sound good and one is certainly not 'better' than another. Your right about the 15" woofers. I was refering to a system that would have a dedicated mid range cone/horn operating in the 400hz-1800hz range. For a system with out a mid horn, I like to use a woofer that will operate up to 1600hz. Wayne has had good success with a lot of Eminence and JBL woofers in that range and there are others that work well too. I used to like the Ti drivers because they were sharp and detailed. Then after some experimenting with older drivers I found I liked the aluminum and phenolic drivers better still. Its just preferance. The polyester drivers have a more extended range into the upper octave than aluminum. A very nice sounding JBL 2" that you might find second hand at a bargain would be a 2440 or 2441. There are some nice K55 1" phenolic drivers to be had also. These are going to need a little help on the top end and there are lots of super tweeters to choose from that vary in price. Piezo tweeters can be put to real good use as a super tweeter. Fostex makes a bunch, some are very affordable and other are very pricy. There are just tons of combinations that make the blending and voicing of all the different drivers great fun.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: ALE, Goto, Oris
Next Topic: Full Range Driver website on the fritz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 01:04:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects