Home » Audio » Speaker » FINISHED basshorn plans!
Round horn bend sim [message #16350 is a reply to message #16347] Sun, 11 April 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master

Wayne, I think you're referring to the pics on John's site that show waveforms passing through a 'square' bend off a flat reflector. Yes, the angle in equals the angle out- just like playing pool- but, if you trace the path of each of the point source particles that comprise the wave you'll see that once they reflect off the bend a large percentage of them will smack into other particles still on their way to the reflector, and those colliding particles would then take off helter-skelter every which way, rather than going towards the mouth in a cohesive fashion. This concept doesn't necessarily duplicate precisely what happens when a wave is fractured into smaller wavelets at various angles of phase, but it's pretty close and should be easy to visualize.

What I was referring to was a series of posts that Sheerin put on AA with sims of round bends, showing how they allow passage of a wavefront intact, without any reflection and thus fracturing of the wave into wavelets. This is one of his pictures, and it shows an entirely different scenario for passage of a wavefront as compared to a reflector. Assuming, that is, that I managed to get the URL right this time.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: seriers crossovers
Next Topic: Guess what kind of speakers I built this week?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 01:13:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio