Home » Audio » General » Beliefs
Re: Beliefs [message #1626 is a reply to message #1586] Thu, 05 May 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
There were a lot of responses to this post and many objected to the term "best".

As an engineer I prefer to use the word "optimum", becasue there always is a optimum solutions to a problem and a given set of contraints. The "optimum" may not be the "best".

As an audio engineer the thing I have always liked about the "older" stuff is its simplicity. But, also as an engineer, we have come a long way in our understanding of audio and the materials and tools that we use in our designs. As engineers we would be doing a pretty poor job if somehow we hadn't improved on the old. I consider myself a good engineer so I think that I can improve on the old. But I always try and do it as simply as possible. Don't usematerials that don't matter. Don't add components that don't make a difference. Don't pay more for something if it isn't any better. In short - optimize the design.

In my expereince, the audio "optimum" is converging on some final principles. I won't belabor them all here, but a few are readily apparent. In electronics its minimize feedback. Among amplifier designers that I know (some of the best) this is pretty well standard thinking - tubes have always had this. In loudspeakers, it appears to be good polar control. The Harman guys and I certainly agree on this point. Room acoustics - well thats still in turmoil I'm affraid to say.

At any rate, I am partially agreing with you that as the constraints become less and our knowledge increases, the "optimum" solutions should (and will) converge on a finite set of answers. In principle this set can be as large as the number of degrees of freedom in the contraint set, but in reality, I think that it will be a whole lot less.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: November 2005 Vacuum Tube Valley Southern California Audio Festival
Next Topic: Components beliefs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 00:36:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout