Home » Audio » General » Components beliefs
Re: Components beliefs [message #1577 is a reply to message #1563] Tue, 03 May 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice post, Earl!. And a pleasure to meet you & Duke & Lori!
Here are my 2 cents:
THe most important determinant of god sound is the recording, followed by the speaker-room system, followed by the components. Given today's excellence in digital sources & amplification, i'd agree with your percentage allocation, except in a few instances. Three of these are below:

1. If a component or amplifier is deliberately skewed to sound "pleasant" it will make a difference. For example, in the setup I listen to most nowadays, 90 HZ to around 3300 HZ are driven by a SET 45 amp connected to a vintage driver (8 inches). Is the resulting sound accurate? Heck no! Is it pleasant? In spades!

2. Some DACs and CD players are deliberately rolledoff, or HAVE to be rolled off (Wadia for example) by as much as 2-3 db in the high octave. This can create again, an inaccurate but pleasant sounding effect.

3. Several cables, esp. speaker cables, with appreciable LC or R can skew the frequency response of the amplifier-cable-speaker sub-system. TO some this can sound pleasant.

Overall, ther is NO doubt to anyone who has spent much timein this hobby that the speaker-room interaction makes the bigest difference: since speakers generally have the most distortion, and the most skewed freq response.

thanks
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Beliefs
Next Topic: To All the Dear Mothers of You Mutha's...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 06 21:44:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio