Home » Audio » Speaker » Image perception
Re: Image perception [message #14978 is a reply to message #14977] Sat, 21 May 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I surely get your meaning. The illusion of spaciousness created from reflected energy is almost universally perceived. It does make it's own "soundstage" and it is sometimes pleasant, or at least interesting.

We've talked about that on my forum a lot over the years. The whole deal Bose did was based on it, and for whatever other things a person may think, I do think that his observation in that regard was genuine. People almost always think the sound made from a system like that with a lot of reflected energies is very spacious sounding. They marvel at the ambience.

But while it makes a convincing illusion of spaciousness, it does so at the expense of other qualities. It is especially noticeable to me in vocals and piano. The sound from a piano heard live comes from the soundboard, and it doesn't really come from all around you, even in a lively room. Same with vocals, if you're not in a cave or a shower, the direct sound is much louder than the reflected sound. So in some ways, it works but in others, it doesn't.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message