Home » Audio » Source » where are the Toshiba SD 3950's?
Re: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's? [message #14298 is a reply to message #14283] Fri, 03 March 2006 19:29 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's human nature. People get more excited over a $50 component that sounds like $150 than they do over a $5K component that sounds like $5K. My 3950 was $48 from Amazon with free shipping, and I decided to go first class and do the upgrade with $5 caps. With the upgrade it definitely sound better than other $48 mass market DVD players, but not as good as the typical $500 mid fi CD player. I recently heard an $11K Esoteric SACD player, and while I would like to say the Toshiba kicked its butt, it didn't. If you have an extra $11K in the checking account get the Esoteric, but if you don't even have $100 the Toshiba 3950, or the current model that replaced it, would be a good choice. The reason you don't see any for sale is because it's not even worth posting an ad for the $40 or whatever a used one would bring. I have so little invested in mine that there's no motivation to sell it, even though it's sitting on a shelf in the workroom.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Digital Optimized
Next Topic: turntable upgrade?
Goto Forum: