Home » Audio » Source » Interesting DAC Bargain - $135
Opportunity To Hear The DAC-AH [message #14272 is a reply to message #14266] Sun, 18 September 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Our best opportunity before the 2006 GPAF would be the next time the Dallas Audio Club has an all member meeting. Club members already have several Scott Nixon DACs so I could bring the DAC-AH and the Onix player. I sold the Fredarray II's today and have several hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket:) I might just order a DAC-60 too. I looked at the inside pictures and a schematic and there are wonderful opportunities for upgrading. There's a picture of the inside of an upgraded DAC-72, which is the same as the 60 except for one chip. I would include a link but it's on the Taco Bell forum, so I'm including this link to my picture pages:

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132868/25/36512237

I have reached a final conclusion about the DAC-AH: It sounds very nice, and I prefer the overall sound to the Scott Nixon dac and the Onix XCD-88 player. It is voiced toward the warm side, which probably isn't the best match for my tube electronics and warmly voiced line arrays. It would be a super choice for a solid state mid fi system that's voiced toward the bright side - It won't attenuate the treble at all, but it will improve the treble/midbass balance. It might also be good in a system using single driver speakers that tend to be a bit light in the bass.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Sony PS-LX250H Stop Button
Next Topic: Thorens TD145 + Ortofon MC 20 - HELP!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 15:01:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio