Home » Audio » Source » Audio CD-R Compatibility
Re: Audio CD-R Compatibility [message #14243 is a reply to message #14242] Mon, 08 August 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I noticed that too, so I checked into the reasons why that was. I used to burn CDs occasionally, and noticed that one of my car stereos wouldn't recognize CD-Rs. They're actually physically quite different than permanent CDs, having a dye inside rather than metal. CD-RWs have a pretty complex material inside made of aluminum and three or four other minerals that form a crystal which is literally melted when recorded. Some players recognize some or all formats, and others don't. To make things even more complicated, some brands of disks are enough different than the others that not all brands of players will work with each one. And to make things further complicated still, there's a standard for CD-R disks, but there isn't one for CD-RW disks. There is a CD-RW standard actually, but not every manufacturer adheres to it. I'm surprised the market has accepted such a mish-mosh of nonstandards, but that's the way it is.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: AR mods: Merrill sub chassis
Next Topic: Ping Hurdy-Gurdy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 09 08:59:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio