Home » Audio » General » Organ Scandal
Organ Scandal [message #1417] Fri, 01 April 2005 05:55 Go to previous message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master

He hee heeee! Bet that draws a lot of hits!

Weds night at choir practice I finally confirmed what I had thought for a while:
The pipes above the choir loft in my church are fake. The pipe organ is a digital instrument with transistor amps and good sized BR speakers behind the scrim behind the pipes. There had been a pipe organ in that space a verrrrry long time ago, judging by a picture I was shown, but alas, it is no more.

I'm sooooo bummed. Having looked up the specs on the organ co's speakers, I'm convinced that subbing AN E's would do a better job using the sand amps that are in place, and that Hi Eff E's or horns and tube amps would take the sound quality to a whole 'nother level.

I've even thought of putting two auto tubas under the pulpit/choir loft area instead of having one lonely 15" BR sub floating 15' off the ground with no wall behind it. Can you say "duh!" I knew that you could!

To prove my point, I'm going to buy a couple of the organ co's CD's, transfer them to an iPod and playe them through the Kit 4 and a pair of E's up on the platform the organ speaks are on.

I'd much rather do a real pipe organ, or the intriguing mix of digital samples and real pipes, but I'd have to create a family fortune first . . . . .

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Stonehenge Speakers
Next Topic: A Lot of Sights to See