Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl still being sold?
Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13064 is a reply to message #13052] Thu, 17 August 2006 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Not to detour off a tangent here but the NYT just had an article two pages long about the problem the Smithsonian is having with data transferral from the different formats. It seems that the new formats such as CD and DVD have a finite life-span; they deteriorate from oxidation. Then there is what is called Bit Loss; each time you transfer some data from another source you lose bits. That means less resolution until it is useless. Know what they said is the longest and most reliable info storage? Paper. It will last indefinately. Not digital storage. Life expectancy? 15 yrs. Vinyl is supposedly good for over 100 yrs or more. Scratches? true; but nothing like the complete disintigration of the data on CD in the future.
My point is if you build a CD library you will need to re-format it in 15 yrs and when you do you lose info. Makes vinyl look a little better than it did for me.
As for scratches; I have albums from the 60's I bought as a kid. They have a little surface noise but nothing intrusive. So ask for a garrauntee of quality when you buy or buy new.
Hope this is of some interest.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Needle Suppliers
Next Topic: Little help with an Old Technics (Belt Reattach)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 22 21:41:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio