Home » Audio » General » DYI Ecomonics
Re: DYI Ecomonics [message #1298 is a reply to message #1296] Fri, 18 February 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You bring up an interesting point about second-hand equipment. If economics is my primary deciding factor, I would not bother with DIY at all, but build my system entirely from second-hand equipment. So the learning and building process is pretty important for me.

I'd argue your point about not saving any money. The amount spend is not chump change and I'd have to admit that I always end up spending more than planned. But compared to what you'd have to spend on brand name equipment to get equivalent performance, the gap is huge.

Let me phrase it another way. I've been following the preamp group build on and off. Very impressive with the quality of parts selected. At what price point would you begin to see brand name equipment with components close to that quality level (for example, capacitors the size of a six pack)? I can't see myself being able to afford that level of manufactured equipment, but with the proper know-how, it can be DIY'ed for a fraction of the cost.

I think second-hand is probably the best way to go if cost is the primary factor. However, like you said, you're stuck with a vintage design. On the other hand, DIY makes it very affordable to upgrade and change the system every few years to follow the latest trend.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: First post here. Does this site have any connection to the Audio Asylum site???
Next Topic: My headphone amp for my bass
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 05:33:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout