Home » Audio » Source » Turntable Thoughts
Re: Used record shops [message #12758 is a reply to message #12755] Thu, 02 February 2006 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
With us older guys you seem to get two types of buyers. Guys like Bill who were involved in the past and are now seeking to become involved again through the used shows and stores. For Bill the shows are a very good thing because if you are looking for Classical/Opera or rock then there are countless bins of 2$ records in very good shape.
Truthfully I envy that situation considering that I purchased most of my albums throughout the years for a higher price than I can get them for now. Unfortunately guys who went my way now have most of what they want but the records that are now worth chasing have been hoarded by collectors and as I say are sold on E-Pay for ridiculous prices. One of the reasons I now buy most of the Jazz stuff on CD.
Upon re-reading my post earlier I wish to ammend the tone somewhat. Regarding low-output MC's I don't recommend them unless you are a hard-core vynil lover. The added cost of a step-up or MC amp coupled with the stylus that cannot be replaced just ain't worth it anymore. I like colored sound(if that is what it is) that you get with big fat low output MC's like the FR or Empire and Denon somewhat. It just sounds more musical to me. Cartridges like the Dynavector are easier to deal with and probably more accurate in playback. Comparing cost then there is no contest since the quality of a cartridge of that calibre is unobtainable with LO MC unless you are wealthier than I am.
I went through the Grado phase and realised I don't care for them after succumbing to reviews in audio rags.
If I were to be asked I would say that for 250$ the Audio Technica ML 150 is my personal choice in fairly priced MM cartridges. Your Mileage may vary. If you have 500$ the Shelter is the clear winner. Now if you asked me what I could love; Ortofon SPU and THe Ortofon Tonearm. I just don't happen to have a spare 3500$. Then the EMT on the EMT Table. After that; the Denon is a steal but you need a good step-up. So then 250+225 for the transformer; tough call.
Regarding LinnTT. They are fat sounding and slow on detail recovery. It's just a sound you either love or not.
But time seems to have passed them by somewhat; hence the Loth X exploration. Although with a little upgrade work who knows?? The Linn companies upgrades are insanely priced so unless you get them used.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Problems with turntable's ground wires, help needed.
Next Topic: greeting from Canuckville
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 09:03:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout