Home » Audio » Source » Turntable Thoughts
Re: An uninformed post [message #12752 is a reply to message #12751] Thu, 02 February 2006 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Your experience in Manhattan is a shame. Here in Columbus it's more of a "flea market" and the 15 or 20 LP vendors bring everything they have. 4 copies of Sgt. Peppers $10 to $15 and the like depending on condition as well as rare Jazz stuff for $50 to $100.
I just want to hear the music I want to hear; rarity or chic means nothing to me so I generally leave with a bag full of vinyl.
I wish the dealers would quit throwing away the Opera until I've had a chance to go through it, dammit!
It's really true that I've only once heard a Linn and then only in passing. Back in the 'flush' Eighties when I was moving up from an AR-XA the VPI HW-19 III and the SOTA's were "it", at least in S. Florida. Tone arms were ET, Dynavector and Souther. Cart's were Grado on the low end, ADC such as the XLM in the middle, Sumiko and Kuetsu on top. I thought the SOTA's had too much bass and didn't trust the vacuum system. Likewise, I didn't see how the extra complexity of the DV or Souther arms could be a good thing. Went with the VPI/ET combo which I thought was smooth and neutral. Step-up devices were way expensive, like Cotter so my Muse Model One or NYAL Minuet pre-amps saw the Talisman Virtuoso Dti hi-output.Now that was a "musical" combo.
The Ariston/ SME I now have is more 'colored' than what I remember of the VPI/ET and adding the 10X5 seems to tone that down some. Yes, it is a bit 'hot' on top but the Grado's I tried were too romantic. Steve Brown has an XLM on an SME arm and that is a VERY good combination. Now that step-ups are common, simpler and waay cheaper I plan to try a Denon soon.
Music is always "fun" to listen too; Vinyl LP's are "fun", in contrast to the aluminum discs, before you ever put them on the platter.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Problems with turntable's ground wires, help needed.
Next Topic: greeting from Canuckville
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 29 07:00:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout