Home » Audio » Source » Straight vs. S-shaped Tonearms
Re: Straight vs. S-shaped Tonearms [message #12430 is a reply to message #12422] Sun, 07 August 2005 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I haven't been able to find any info on a S shaped arm having better tangital tracking than a straight. Seeing as the location of the pivot vs stylus can be identical with both types, it shouldn't have any difference for tanganital tracking.
I have read where a straight arm has a shorter tube (a straight line is the shortest distance between two points), thus will have less mass (if made of the same materials.) It will also be stiffer. A S shaped arm, in theory, will have better lateral balance. In other words, the cartidges natural tendancy to tip over with a pivoted arm is reduced with a S shaped arm. It's unclear if this can make an audible difference or not. Both types of arms can have supurb performance. I happen to like the looks of an S or J shaped arm best, but this has nothing to do with how well it will perform.

Anyone have any links to where S vs Straight is discussed in an informative way?

Dave

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Belt fell off...
Next Topic: connect tuner from receiver to integrated amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 01 18:30:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations