Home » Audio » Source » as the record plays my strobe doesnt show a steady mark
Re: i am still looking for help. sorry, but i couldnt see how the previous post helps [message #12312 is a reply to message #12304] Thu, 07 July 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No, it should not happen, but is not uncommon as tables age. Yes, it could be fixed, probabley fairly easily. i not sure if a understand your last question, but the difference between the belt drive and direct drive is in the drive mechanism, one has the motor turning the platter directly, and the other has the motor to the side, with a belt driving the platter. Most direct drive tables have a quartz lock servo deal that is designed to lock the speed and keep it stable. as the components age, they fail or drift out of spec, causing the problems you are experiencing. while many like direct drive tables, and some of the better ones, like techniques 1200 series and the better denon tables can sound good, my personal feelings are that the design is compromised by having the motor (and its vibration) hooked directly to the platter. that been said, what audio design isn't compromised in some way? If their is something about this table you like, get it fixed and enjoy, even if not really cost effective. Who am I to talk, I have put enough money into my AR that it really doesn't make sense either.

Russellc

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Red trumpet and classic records