Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 300b vs. Zen amp
Re: 300b vs. Zen amp [message #10631 is a reply to message #10629] Wed, 26 May 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Peter,
I have owned the zen amp for more than a year now. It is very good. The midrange is a bit pronounced. You need at least 95 db + speakers. Yours may be too low in sensitivity.
Recently I purchased another similar amp from antique sound USA. This amp has MIT multicap coupling caps, fast diodes, and solen caps in the power. This amp has a little bit of negative feedback, gives out 4 watts! Tubes are kind of similar to zen. If i had to sell one of these 2 amps today, I would sell the zen.

IN short, the zen is a great beginner amp, or is you want a small setup with a pair of simple single drivers. IF you have a decent 300B amp, you are probably ahead of the curve ( I say this without ever having heard a 300b!). Also, for your speakers, the zen is probably not going to be suitable...too little power.
IF I were you, I'd focus on upgrading your 300B amp, maybe tubes, or parts. That will probably get you much better sound in your current setup.
hope this helps!
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message