Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Initial review of ASUSA (Antique Sound USA) K2003 SET amp
Initial review of ASUSA (Antique Sound USA) K2003 SET amp [message #10614] Sun, 16 May 2004 14:11 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Everyone,
As my earlier post indicates, I purchased an antique sound USA (a now defunct company) K2003 amplifier : it uses a 12ax7 with 2 EL84s, wired in SET mode. There is -5db feedback. I got it really cheap and my aim was to: a) compare it to my zen se84C and b) to try some upgrades and see if the sound could be improved.
I received the amp in good condition, and plugged it in on a dummy load first. nothing blew up, so then i connected my homebrewed speakers to it. Here are some impressions:
1. The bass is greater than the zen by a small amount. It is also a tiny bit looser than the zen.
2. The soundstage is a little bigger than the zen's.
3. The detail is about the same, except see 4:
4. The zen emphasizes the midrange a bit more than this amp.
5. The zen has a slightly smoother sound (no negative feedback in the zen) and overall the music seems a tiny bit more "together" in the zen.
6. This amp is a lot better than my push-pull el84 amp: a lot smoother, and nicer sound stage.
7. The amp has no hum, unlike the zen which has a slight hum (the zen is tube rectified).
8. This amp gives out 4 watts of power, unlike the zen's 1.5. I suspect you can run 91-92 db speakers with this amp and get realy good sound, where the zen will be underpowered.

I opened the amp and saw the following: MIT coupling caps, and diodes with the word FR on them. Whoever built this amp already upgraded the parts. I also noticed a solen cap, along with nichicon power caps and high quality resistors. The quality of soldering was average, with many parts soldered on with not a lot of mechanical support. In fact one grounded end of a cap popped loose and I resoldered it.

Given this, as well as the small amount of room in the box, I will not be upgrading anything in this amp. The input tube is a GE 12ax7, and the outputs are sovtek. I may play around with a telefunken input tube. Overall, i am very satisfied with my purchase, given the money i paid. I would not pay $499 for this amp (the list price of the KIT alone), esp. since my speakers are fine with the 1.5 watts the zen has. However, if i has 91-92 db speakers, this amp would be much more preferable than the zen. The lack of negative feedback in the zen, along with tube rectification seems to make the music come together a little better, PROVIDED YOUR SPEAKERS CAN deal with 1.5 watts!

At the next Tulsa audio meet, i'll bring this amp for others to listen.
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Will increasing the primary imodance of my output trannies hurt?
Next Topic: Dealers in London for used tube preamplifier
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 11 02:19:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout