Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Rod Elliotts pre-amp
Re: Rod Elliotts pre-amp [message #10224 is a reply to message #10223] Sat, 23 October 2004 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ya, I was interested in doing a high powered KT88 amp project this winter, specifically the one in VTV19. A couple of things turned me off though. The first was sticker shock after I priced out the total cost of iron for the project. I'm all for getting the best sound possible, but cost-wise, that was out of my league.

The second reason was that I finally realized that a tube amp was not the best solution for what I was looking for. The underlining reason why I was interested in a high power tube amp was because I was scouting out an all tube multi-amp system. But I finally accepted the fact that a used pro SS amp for the bass region (150Hz or less) would give the most bang for the buck. I can get a used 150Wx2 pro amp for about $300.

Those chip amps are great little projects, but for me, they never turn out as cheap as planned. I always end up "upgrading" on parts and it's a real problem.

Thanks for the link on the BEBE-T. I'll check it out this weekend. BTW, if you're looking for a small and inexpensive speaker project, you have to try the Studio-1. I love those little speakers!

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Where to get LM3875?