Home » Audio » Group Build » A New Ground
A New Ground [message #86431] Mon, 30 October 2017 12:14 Go to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Messages: 67
Registered: June 2017
Viscount
Dedicated ground solutions are not a novel idea but over the past year it seems everyone has been coming out with their version. For a few months I've been thinking about introducing one to my system and had considered Entreq, Telos, Nordost and others. Although I have a bunch of Synergistic Research (SR) kit I had dismissed their older basic ground block as too rinky dink -- however when I heard about the new Active Ground Blocks I thought that could be the way to go. The Active Ground blocks are smallish devices with a mains connection and a plethora of outlets for grounding cables to every component. What do you think is the best?
Re: A New Ground [message #86435 is a reply to message #86431] Mon, 30 October 2017 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Messages: 19101
Registered: January 2001
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The problem with grounding is pretty basic but the solutions may or may not be. To me, if I can put all equipment close enough together to share a common single-point ground, then that's what I do. But if any part is far away, then the systems need to be isolated rather than trying to connect the grounds. A good ground connection can't have a long conductor separating components because there is a potential voltage drop along the conductor. So the only good way to connect distant equipment is through some method that isolates the systems, e.g. using optical or electro-magnetic couplers.

Re: A New Ground [message #87271 is a reply to message #86435] Sun, 25 February 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Messages: 116
Registered: December 2013
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 30 October 2017 12:48
A good ground connection can't have a long conductor separating components because there is a potential voltage drop along the conductor.



I was taught that that was a given. Which is why I've never done that. Every component of every system I have ever had were as close together as possible.
Re: A New Ground [message #99855 is a reply to message #86431] Sat, 10 October 2026 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hank is currently offline  Hank
Messages: 70
Registered: December 2025
Viscount
I have been curious about these grounding devices as well, mainly as they concern whether they actually make a noticeable difference in sound quality.

I understood that having those synergistic research equipment was crucial to why their active ground blocks got your attention.

For me, I won't spend a dime unless I know the major difference.

Have you been able to compare the difference between the brands using your system, or are you still focused on making research?

Has anyone tried the Entreq or Nordost versions yet? What was the experience like?
Re: A New Ground [message #99856 is a reply to message #99855] Sat, 10 October 2026 21:11 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Messages: 2057
Registered: May 2010
Location: Southern Arizona
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Humm.  It seems I do that.  It just seemed the correct thing to do.  Related ..all my gear separates the signal ground(s) from shielding (like cases).  It seems to work as the system is absolutely quiet. As most folks know I am fanatical about hum and noise.  If I can hear it or measure it, then it mus go.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: DIY Panels
Next Topic: Group Build Projects
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Oct 11 08:34:59 CDT 2026

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio
Tubes For Amps
TubesForAmps.com

Lone Star Audiofest