Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Tubes from Russia
Tubes from Russia [message #95342] Sat, 05 March 2022 17:43 Go to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Messages: 178
Registered: March 2020
Master
With sanctions will this affect tubes from Russia?
Re: Tubes from Russia [message #95345 is a reply to message #95342] Sat, 05 March 2022 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Messages: 2054
Registered: May 2010
Location: Southern Arizona
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Probably. Capacitors as well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Tubes from Russia [message #99835 is a reply to message #95342] Thu, 01 October 2026 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt is currently offline  Kurt
Messages: 37
Registered: December 2025
Baron
Hey man,

Looking back from 2026, yeah, the sanctions hit Russian tubes hard.

I run Tung-Sol and Sovtek tubes in my Evo 400 and Rogue Cronus. They’re still made at Reflector and sound excellent when you get a good matched set — sometimes better than old NOS. Reliability stays solid if the power supply is right and you don’t push them.

Getting them here has been patchy for years, though. Shipping, payments, and tariffs made stock uneven and prices higher.

I keep JJ tubes as my everyday ones now because they’re consistent. Chinese fill the gaps. I still buy Russian when a decent batch shows up because they work great in my amps, but I don’t count on them like before.

Demand for real tubes isn’t going away. Plenty of us still want that feel. Heat’s still an issue in summer, so I switched around, but the tubes keep going.

Is anyone still finding good Russian stock regularly?
Re: Tubes from Russia [message #99838 is a reply to message #99835] Thu, 01 October 2026 11:32 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Messages: 1468
Registered: May 2018
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Illuminati (4th Degree)
I haven't looked into Russian tubes for any reason because I'd laid in a supply of over 100 Sovtek 6C19PI output tubes for my two monoblock OTL amps prior to the sanctioning. I'm grateful now I unwittingly did that just because even then, buying those tubes domestically was overly expensive.

I think I paid about 2 or 3 bucks a tube from a Russian supply house. I've retubed these amps with them with satisfying results. Each amp uses 16 of them. So, I'm REALLY glad I got that deal while it lasted. For an OTL topology, which has always been noted for high consumption of vacuum tubes. This brand, Transcendent Sound, does justice with the load put on output tubes. My original tubes lasted close to two decades. But I run my solid state amp in the hot midwestern summers. That helped.
Alas, Transcendent Sound no longer exists. Bruce Rozenblit was a pioneering DIY tube designer.

 
Previous Topic: Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Oct 02 05:35:47 CDT 2026

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio
Tubes For Amps
TubesForAmps.com

Lone Star Audiofest