Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used?
Re: Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used? [message #99807 is a reply to message #99806] Wed, 16 September 2026 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Messages: 2054
Registered: May 2010
Location: Southern Arizona
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I certainly agree.  I have several high quality solid state devices.  Two vintage Marantz receivers and one of their console amps.  All are really nice and certainly well made.  They are heavy.  I'm sure that the one receiver is nearly 50 pounds.  But....I prefer the sound of my tube gear.  It is not better but has some sort of quality that I like.  This argument has been kicking around from the time the first solid state amps were made.  At that time they were generally inferior to the available tube amps.  Now they usually measure better.  If it was that easy to determine which is best life would be easy.  I would have lower power bills as well.  Four Oddblocks (running a total of 8 KT120s in class A), a preamp and two phono preamps are no where as efficient as one of my receivers.  So I tell everyone to get and use what they like.

Good Listening
Bruce
 
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Buying Amps on eBay
Next Topic: Tubes from Russia
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Oct 04 07:19:01 CDT 2026

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio
Tubes For Amps
TubesForAmps.com

Lone Star Audiofest